Saturday, August 13

Why SMC? - Part II

So since you've all had a good look into my experience making the big college choice, I thought I'd present you with the perspectives of other students from SMC's Class of 2015 on their decision to join the community. 


Emily Hagerty / Modern Languages / D.C
One of the greatest reasons I chose Saint Michael's was because it advocates the "Good Samaritan" philosophy of Catholicism above all else. This is apparent in the endless community service projects that the M.O.V.E office coordinates, and the student body that puts the plan into action. Every aspect of the community of Saint Michael's is equally devoted to helping others. I also chose Saint Michael's because it was most accomodating with my learning disability in Math. Toni Messuri, the director of the Academic Support Services, was deeply understanding of my weaknesses. At the same time, She was very supportive of my strengths, ambitions, and goals in life. I am endlessly grateful for her unwavering support and confidence in my direction and abilities in life. I'm ecstatic to be a part of Saint Michael's Class of 2015. I am so blessed to be a part of this loving, welcoming, community. 



Ben Rosbrook / Exploratory / Syracuse, NY 
I first thought about applying to SMC when I was something like 5 years old. My dad's an SMC grad, and one summer when I was young he brought me and my family up to Burlington to visit some of his college friends that had stayed in the area after graduating. While we were there, my dad showed us SMC, and since, at the time, I thought my dad was the coolest person in the entire world and I wanted to do everything that he did, I said that I was going to study there when I became a "college kid".

About 12 years later, it's the spring of my senior year of high school, and admissions letters start rolling in. I had applied to SMC, but not as a first choice. At the time, I was leaning more towards a big university, with lots of programs and classes and people, because I thought that the more choices I had, the more likely I would be to find exactly what I wanted to do and study in college.


Anyway, the letter from SMC was the first one I got. I wasn't really nervous about getting in, but it was still a nice feeling; and it was the nicest acceptance letter I got! It was in a purple envelope with a gold seal, and although it's not REALLY important, I thought it was more personal than the other acceptances I got. Some time later, when I had gotten all my letters, I decided on SMC. I had gotten into some of the bigger universities that I had applied to, but I found myself really drawn to SMC for the location, tight community, engaging professors, and the ability to ski for really freaking cheap. Since then, I've continued to learn more about all the stuff that happens at SMC, and I've realized that it's not all about the big schools, and I'm excited to take advantage of some of the amazing opportunities SMC has to offer!


Jessyl Zavala Muñiz / Undeclared / San Juan, Puerto Rico               


Hey beautiful people! My name is Jessy and I'm from the little island of Puerto Rico. Yeah...it's pretty far from Vermont  (1.855 miles to be exact) and really different. In PR, people are really loud and hyper and in Vermont, most people seem chill. In the PR, the main hang out is the beach whereas in VT, it's skiing. 70° in PR is cold and in VT 70° is hot. Not to mention the language different - well,you get the point. But you know what? Saint Michael's convinced me to leave everything I know behind and take a chance to try something completely different.  

I had a list of 5 schools that I applied to in order of preference. SMC was number 5, not because it was the worst one, but because I knew very little about the school. When my second semester of my high school senior year hit, I learned the hidden ugly truth of some colleges and visited others. By late April, I was so convinced that I was going to a school in Indiana that I even gave in the deposit! But there was one school that I had left catching dust on the shelves: Saint Michael's College. I was about to make my final decision, but my mom told me to give SMC a chance. So I did.
   
Honestly, giving SMC a visit has been the best decision I have ever made in my academic life. Not only did I fall in love with Vermont from the plane view, but when I arrived, the people were super courteous and nice. I couldn't stop admiring Vermont's beauty on my way to campus. When I got there, for some reason it felt homey. I felt comfortable. I spent 4 days and 3 nights on campus. I sat in on classes, ate at Alliot, hung out with other students - pretty much what a normal student's life would be like. And that's where I felt the difference. I was like a normal student; I wasn't an outsider. I felt comfortable being from Boricua. At the other colleges, it felt OK, but it didn't feel right.


Yes, SMC has an amazing curriculum, and the fact that it's a liberal arts curriculum makes it even more interesting for me, because you get to learn about everything! Yes, The campus is beautiful as well, and the library is amazing! Yes, The people are always willing to help you and the professors are always willing to hear you. But what makes Saint Michael's special is that it makes you want to wonder, question, mingle, learn and actually get out there without being scared of being alone. What makes SMC is the fact that despite the wide and obvious differences from where I come from and college town, I feel like I'll never have to leave my island behind. Because I can be who I am, happily and comfortably, and I know that the community at Saint Michael's will support me. It's the fact that everybody has their arms open to receive you, help you and support you. Above all, the fact that no other college could make me feel the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment